Peirce Mill – Washington, DC, built in 1829, was one of eight mills along Rock Creek. In 1892, the property became part of new national park, though Peirce Mill continued operations until 1897, when mill machinery failed. In 1905, the old stone building was converted into a teahouse for park visitors. In the 1930s, Peirce Mill was restored as an early project of the Works Progress Administration and operated off and on, until the main shaft broke in 1993. The Friends of Peirce Mill was established in 1997 to help the National Park Service restore the mill and grinding operations resumed in 2011. Today, Peirce Mill is Washington's last working gristmill and a popular destination in Rock Creek Park. (May)
Wallace Cross Mill – Felton PA, in operation from the 1820s to 1980s, is a restored water-powered grist mill open for public tours Sundays from mid-June through September. Volunteers operate the restored Fitz water wheel and grinding equipment. The site is managed by York County Parks. (April)
Glendale Flour Mills - Douglass Township, Berks County, PA. The grist mill was built in 1838 and sits along the beautiful Ironstone Creek, just above the confluence with Manatawny Creek. Glendale Flour Mills is just around the corner from the Pine Forge Academy and the Thomas Rutter mansion. The Colebrookdale Railroad runs the length of the mill property, from Ironstone Park, to the trestle at Pennypacker Creek. (March)
Daniel Campbell, AIA is a multi-state registered restoration architect with 30+ years of experience in preservation, restoration and renovation of 18th, 19th and 20th century buildings of all types, and design of new buildings in traditional architectural styles. Dan is based in historic Chester County in eastern PA with easy access to the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions. "Your old mill's best friend!" (February)
Castle Valley Mill - Doylestown PA was built along Neshaminy Creek on land given to the Meredith family by William Penn. The mill which began grinding 1730 was also known as Grove's Mill and Reed's Mill. The property was in poor condition when Henry Fischer, a miller from Germany, purchased and restored the property in 1947. Henry’s grandson Mark continues his legacy of restoring antique stone mills and processing machines rescued from older mills in Bucks County that closed. Castle Valley Mill products will not only please your palette, but your support will contribute to the preservation and restoration of this valuable piece of history. (January)
Springfield Mills – Philadelphia PA, Historic Springfield Mills, with its Oliver Evans mill works, is restored and stone-grinding corn for meal and flour. Come explore revolutionary technology, local history, and a beautiful setting along the Wissahickon Creek, once home to over sixty water-powered mills. Springfield Mills and the Miller’s Cottage date back to 1761. and are the oldest architectural features at the Morris Arboretum. (December)
Sheard's Mill – Quakertown, PA, Built by David Sheard in 1835, the mill originally functioned as a grist and saw mill and later included a cider press. The Clymer family, as the last millers, operated the mill until 1971. Although unrestored, the mill contains much of the original mechanical equipment and furnishings. Currently owned by Tohickon Family Campground, the mill is the only one in Bucks County to have a still-standing covered bridge paired with it. (November)
Penns Creek Pottery – Mifflinburg PA, Sampsel’s Mill was built in 1818 and ran on water-power until it closed in 1951 and fell into disrepair. Bill Lynch has been making award-winning pottery in this ‘creek-place’ since he and Sharon bought the old mill property in 1978. In 1989 the mill was restored and adapted for pottery making and sales. (October)
Locke’s Mill – Berryville, VA, is a colonial-era grist mill located near the confluence of the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers. It ground grains from the Shenandoah and Ohio Valleys for sale in the large coastal cities. The present building dates from 1876 and ran two mill-wheels. The mill was certified organic in 2017 and today provides essential services to the growing local organic food movement in Northern Virginia. (September)
Heller-Wagner Grist Mill – Hellertown, PA, - was built circa 1760 by the Heller family, then sold to the Wagner family who operated the mill into the 1950s. Over time, the original 3-story building was enlarged and the water wheel replaced by water turbines that remain. The mill was restored in the late 1980s by local volunteers. The Borough of Hellertown owns the property which is maintained by the Hellertown Historical Society. The office in the miller’s house and museums in the mill and neighboring “barn” and are open to the public. The lower floor of the mill is available for rental for private functions. (August)
Shank's Mill – Waynesboro, PA was built in 1857 as Springdale Mills and passed through three other families before Wilmer and Edna Shank purchased it in 1935. Over time, the Shanks owned and operated five different grist mills. Their son Odell operated this mill until his death in 1973. His wife Yula began the process of preserving Shank’s Mill as an historic site. Her son Adrian and his family continue to do so. (July)
George Washington's Grist Mill – Perryopolis, PA is a one-of-a-kind intact pre-industrial site established due to George Washington’s decision to build a grist mill along the Youghiogheny River to fulfill his dream of becoming a large landowner prior to his military career. The Perryopolis Parks and Recreation Authority oversees the historic district which includes the Washington Grist Mill (1776), Shreve’s Distillery (c.1810), Searinhts’ Fulling Mill (c.1815), a late 19th century bakery, and the stone miller’s residence (c.1800). The former First National Bank houses the Perryopolis Area History Museum. (July)
Breneman-Turner Mill – Harrisonburg, VA, This four-story stone and brick mill, which survived Sheridan's burning, is the only pre-Civil War mill with all the grist mill equipment still in place in Rockingham County. Visitors see corn ground on French burr stones from the early 1800s. The mill is open one Saturday a month, May through October, for tours and corn grinding. (June)
Generous support from our organizational members makes the SPOOM Mid-Atlantic website possible. To become a sponsor, complete and submit this pdf form along with a minimum payment of $50 per year or join online through our Membership Page.
Area mills are encouraged to to celebrate our milling heritage by planning annual celebrations at their respective sites sometime during the month of June. Find a destination for your next mill adventure or submit information for activities at your site.Read More
The SPOOM Mid-Atlantic Fall Meeting, hosted by the Hellertown Historical Society, will be Thursday, October 5 to Saturday, October 7. Sites in Historic Bethlehem are included.